Wednesday 6 July 2011

Who wants the funk?

You know what's really cool to me? When for the first time in my life, I start trying to learn the bass guitar part for a 'funk' tune and I find that I DO have the 'funk' within me.  That 'feel'; that inner feeling that you can't ever learn. :)  Just like 'natural rhythm' that you either have or you don't.  It's not something that can be learned; you either have it, or you don't.  Period.

This memory just came back to me after seeing my friend Mel from World of Warcraft posting the video for "Play That Funky Music White Boy" from Wild Cherry on her daily blog, in response to mentioning of my having helped to brink her out of her bad funk, yesterday.  I'd begun learning the tune about a week before our (with Liz) wedding, in order to play the tune live, for the wedding.  During the learning of the bass guitar part, once I had most of it down, I felt the realization 'switch on' as I was playing ... I had the 'feel'; the groove; I was, the tune. :)  That was SO cool!  That I - a white guy, could 'feel' the soul; the 'funk' as I was playing it.
An amazing, eye opening experience that was, to me. :)

So in return - I have to post a vid. from the absolutely amazing masters OF funk - that created it in the 1st place, back in the 1960s!  Parliament / Parliament Funkadelic / P-Funk All Stars ... (and they're playing live in Buffalo, New York for FREE on July 28th and later that weekend in Cleveland, Ohio - they are INCREDIBLE, LIVE! :o )

Thanks Mel!  Now - who wants the funk?

No comments:

Post a Comment