Sunday 17 July 2011

My new studio / workshop tables building spree this weekend ...

This was a quick build of the two tables.  Through it all I found that my Canadian Tire cheap brand of tools, chop saw 'Job Mate' isn't very well lined up on the Z axis.  When you cut angles, they're off by a degree or 2. :(  This helped to make fitting things together which I'd hoped to do as precisely as possible, impossible.  Ah well.

In this pic is table #1's top, with a couple of it's underneath supports cut, laid out on it to test their sizings.



 Here's another viewing of it from top down.
 I believe this pic is after I had screwed all 4 of the support bars to the bottom of the table top.  (They're 2" x 3" wood that I recovered from my 2nd 5 foot tall 2"x3" 19" rack that my modular used to reside in.  The 1st 5 foot tall, was used to give me 2"x3" 's for my 2 cabinets that the modular has been moved into.

 Here, I've added the 2 front 3' legs with 1 of the 2 supports for each of them.
 Setting table #1 up to have a look at it, 1 of the almost 6' legs has been installed through a hole that I made in the table top.  It's leaning on the plastic table that I was using to build things on.
 And here, is table #1 with both of it's almost 6' tall legs installed.  I still had to add the remaineder of the leg supports.
 Here, with table #1 being almost completed - I've FINALLY remembered to grab my camera (today), to shoot pics of how far I'd gotten with table #2.  All of it's legs are on and I'm adding the final supports to it, here.
 Another pic of the 2 tables.
 Yet another pic of the 2 tables, with more leg supports added.
 And here is the first of the 2 pics of both tables completed (except for their almost 6' tall leg's top supports.  I ran out of wood that I'd rescued from the trashed 5' tall 2"x3" rack.  Except for the cutoff bits, ALL of the wood was used. :)  Happy about that.
And the final pic of the 2 tables standing well in front of my 1994 Ford Thunderbird.  (8 cylinder!  Woohoo! :D )

Now - has anyone noticed all of the measurement errors especially in the supports for the legs, all through the pics?  Lol.

The tables don't wobble.  I was extremely careful in my measurements for everything there.  Sturdy as heck with their supports.  When they were both out on the grass, I sat myself down on one of them (I'm 230+ pounds at 6'4" in height.) and I didn't even hear a creak.  Very happy with that. :)

During the last few minutes of adding the final supports - I realized that the table that I'll use for the modular cabinets does not NEED the almost 6' tall legs in the back as it'll be seated in FRONT of them.  Umm - duh.  Lol.

Anyhoo ... as I said on the forum, I need at least 5 tables.  3+ more to build. :)  Shall see about either next weekend or the weekend after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment