Wednesday 13 July 2011

A long brewing contemplation's current realization ...

Now - I've been realizing for quite a few months now, that for the past few years mainly, I've not been composing music from any emotion at all.  Only, from that which to me 'sounds cool' to my own ears. :O  Ummm - ooops?  Is an understatement. :(

I've been pondering music composed emotionally for at least a couple of years now, from what I've been hearing on the popular radio stations that I haven't any choice to ignore at places of work.  I've been noticing what appears to be the amount of tunes on them, without emotion in their creation, becoming more and more popular.  ???  Media pushing to make artists popular is a guess of mine.  But anyhoo ...

At a rough guesstimate, in all of my compositions that I've kept a recording of in some way since 1982, when I first started recording them, I may very well be able to count on my fingers and toes together, the TOTAL # of those tunes that I DID compose from emotions.  Out of a rough estimate of 150 tunes, that's not one heck of a lot. :o

This is definitatively something I'll be keeping in mind when I set myself down to begin any new compositions.  A key for me here will be: to ensure that I'm composing the music for lyrics, if it's not an 'ambient' / etc. type of genre.  If it is the latter, then I should make sure that I have a mood that I'm looking to appeal to emotionally (or logically (or a combo. there of)) and follow that, rather than going only with sounds and / or rhythms that appeal to my mind.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment