Tuesday 5 July 2011

Playing with the English language ...

Now, many have been doing that since shortly after 'the dawning of spoken word'.  It's something that I've had fun doing, since at least the mid 1980's when I were just a wee squirt, flapping all about in my early 20's. 
(When I was walking to my local 7-Eleven to get a Slurpee one evening in the earliest 1990's, doing the letter flipping thing with the beginning letters in words, was how I had come up with the name for my recording noise band Deathlehem.)

When I had seen the listing of the band members on the 2nd album from one of my most favouritist punk bands ever, The Dickies (Dawn of The Dickies - playing on one of the greatest to me ever horror movies, Dawn of The Dead) - I had already been coming up with names for people, based on common words.  Seeing The Dickies doing it as well, with Billy Club and Chuck Wagon (RIP) - confirmed my interests in continuing to do it, as well. :D Lol.

Yesterday at work (being 1/2 awake and all that) I realized that this coming Monday is going to be Liz`s and I`s 1 month anniversary of marriage.  By my own nature much of the time now, I started playing with the word anniversary, immediately coming up with the woman's name: Annie Versary (pronounce it with a heavy Italian accent. ;) )  I thought it sounded funny! :D
I just finished searching for it (quoted) in Google a few minutes ago.  Much to the bummeredness of myself, I found that MANY people have been using it in play for quite some time now.  "It's not original! Wahhhhh.  It's not something I've coined myself, for the first time ... " hahahahaha. Oh well.


Other's that I've wondered about over the years, as to whether they exist anywhere as real person's names, include:


  • Gail Tator (it has been found as a real person's name in a Google, quite a few times. I came up with this name sometime last year, when I were bitching about some wanker that was tail gating me, when we were driving somewhere.)
  • Pete Sakes (Oh, for Pete`s Sakes! - I haven't searched for yet. I keep forgetting to. Lol.)
  • Haha!  Damn!  I'm not completely awake yet and I`ve forgotten others that I`ve come up with!  Right then.  I`ll have to come back here later, to update this list as there IS quite a few of them. :)
And this itself has sparked another thought line as to things that I`ve played with over the years:  word play.

In 1987, I asked some other online (from one of those things that all you younger folks may not know about, called a 'Bulletin Board System') friends of mine, if they wanted to form a band with me, to play around gatherings that we were usually having.  (I'd already been playing in local bands since my 1st one at the age of 12 in 1975 when I was playing guitar.  This would be my first band in which I were playing keyboards, instead.)
We formed 'Line Noyz' (play on words about the line noise that you'd get over your telephone line, that would anywhere from rarely to quite often, log you off of your online connection.)  We played a couple of the parties at my place, having a great time and - changing band members.
In either late 1987 or early 1988 with 2 completely different online friends, we formed a new band with all 3 of us playing keyboards.  Throwing around words the one night whilst hangin' out, we came up with the impossible to work function name: Uneven Balance.  (Ooop.  We also added a guitar player, through a female friend of mine from that time period, who'd been in the Line Noyz band.)
Originally doing popular cover tunes from the radio as well as some play arounds like a 'jazz / beatnik / lounge version of the Dead Kennedys 'Too drunk To Fuck' and "Let's Lynch The Landlord", we started writing as well.  And through THAT change, we became the first 'Industrial' band, in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada! :O  That became quite popular for us.  Tho we were short lived into about the 1st 1/2 of 1989, we opened many an ear in the city, to that kind of music.  (We also did an industrial cover of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's tune Relax.  The tune itself, filled the dance floor. :) )

Anyhoo ... I'm running out of time before I have to get to work and I'd like to log in to my World of Warcraft account to battle for awhile.

More later boys and girl.  ;)  Have fun.

(For those out there who would like to see more of my using the 'boys and girl' expression, why not twist your noggin' around some of my videos at my youtube site?  They're mostly demos of modular synthesizer modules that I've designed and built or simply built but ... I've a few followers and every now and then receive commentary on the enjoyment of that expression. ;)  (Which were referencing there being at one point, one female member of my private forum, devoted to the interest of building circuits around CMOS ICs.)

/end rambling away, half awakedly LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment